Upgrading to QPix 3.7x
Despite the inconspicuous numbering, QPix 3.7 includes significant changes that bring it up to the standards of the latest OS and 4D versions.
Things to know
QPix 3.7x still requires QuickTime. QT is part of MacOS X, but a full installation of its latest version is recommended on Windows.
QPix 3.7x requires at least 4Dv14 on Mavericks or Windows 7. Read the page on Installation to learn about things to consider when installing QPix 3.7x in your databases.
Qix 3.7x works with new license keys that require online activation. Read about license keys in the page on adding & removing license keys.
Things to do
When moving an older database to 4Dv14/15 and QPix 3.7x, make sure to do whichever of the following applies in your case:
- Enable Unicode mode in the compatibility panel of the database settings dialog.
- Convert to text all string parameters passed to QPix commands — string variables are already obsolete in 4Dv15 (_o_C_STRING):
C_STRING(size;varName) → C_TEXT(varName)
- Convert to text arrays all string array parameters passed to QPix commands — string arrays are already obsolete in 4Dv15 (_o_ARRAY STRING):
ARRAY STRING(size;arrName;arrSize) → ARRAY TEXT(arrName;arrSize)
Up until v11, 4D was using the QuickDraw PICT as its native picture format. Such legacy pictures that may still exist in your databases, could contain QuickTime-compressed data and need to be identified and updated to 4D's new picture format.
Background information and how you can use QPix 3.7x to update legacy pictures without loss of quality, can be found in this document.
QPix plug-in area
- Area frame: The area no longer draws its own frame. Set the frame style in the properties palette of the form editor.
- In the TWAIN, Video and ImageCapture Scanner protocols images are now acquired in TIFF format (instead of QTIF).
- Custom icons: no longer supported on Mac OS. QPxObs_SetCustomIcon, QPxObs_GetCustomIcon and QPxObs_ClearCustomIcon are now obsolete and return qpx_ParamErr (-50).
- Compression: QPxObs_CompressPictureFile was specific to QuickDraw PICT files which are deprecated on Mac OS. Returns qpx_ParamErr (-50).
- File formats: custom importers PhotoCD and SciteX have been removed.
- Area flags for scrollbars: qpx_MiniScrollbarsFlag/qpx_MiniScrollBarsMask, qpx_PropScrollBarsFlag/qpx_PropScrollBarsMask and qpx_LiveScrollingFlag/qpx_LiveScrollingMask have no effect. Scrollbars are always full size, proportional, with live tracking.
- Area flags for smoothing: qpx_SmoothZoomingFlag/qpx_SmoothZoomingMask have no effect. The area always does smooth zooming.
- Area flags for focus: qpx_SmokedFocus and qpx_PlainFocus are equivalent to qpx_SystemFocus.
- Acquisition events: qpx_AcqStoreDeviceSettings/qpx_AcqRestoreDeviceSettings are not used. Modern video acquisition frameworks on Mac OS do not provide access to device settings.